Today is the first day of my low-iodine diet!
Things I can no longer eat:
- Iodized salt, sea salt, and any foods containing iodized salt and sea salt
- Seafood and sea products, including carrageenan, agar-agar, algin, alginate, and nori
- Dairy products
- Egg yolks or whole eggs or foods with whole eggs
- Bakery products with iodine/iodate dough conditioners or high-iodine ingredients. Low-iodine items are fine.
- Red Dye #3, erythrosine (or E127 in Europe)
- Most chocolate (due to milk content). Cocoa powder and some dark chocolates are allowed
- Soybeans and soybean products (however, soy oil is allowed)
- Iodine-containing vitamins and food supplements
What can I eat? Fruits, Veggies, small amounts of bread/grain products, soda (without red dye) and small amounts of meat. Don’t confuse salt (NaCl) with sodium (Na). So basically my diet from my half marathon training days! Should be easy! I mean, I’ll be sad not to have ice cream for a while, but I think maybe this diet is a good thing- I’ve been eating a lot of junk food. Since being back at school I’ve gained 5 pounds! The real issue will be coffee. I drink it with tons of milk. So, either I learn to drink it black or I wait 3 weeks…
The diet is pretty nit picky. I have to be careful of eating some chicken because sometimes they inject broth into it for taste and don’t say what kind of salt was used in that broth…. What? basically, if it doesn’t specify, don’t eat it! I think I’m just going to tell myself I’m allergic to everything.
If you guys want to learn more about my diet, here is this slide show I found off the Thyroid Cancer website.